Hiddens Lesser Known Pokemon Spotlight #5: Garbodor!

Would you be willing to use Garbodor?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hidden_Paw

Mar 16, 2019
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening ladies and gentlemen!

My name is Hidden_Paw and today do I have a "treat" for you, this weeks pokemon in the spotlight is Garbodor, the Trash Heap Pokemon!

So, Garbodor wasn't initially a popular pokemon among the fans, mainly because a certain group cried out that it was an awful design cough Voltorb, Electrode, Magnemite, Magneton, Geodude, Graveller, Golem, Goldeen, Seaking cough sorry about that, got a bad case of double standards. But with my illness aside, Garbodor is a pure poison type pokemon added in generation 5 with plenty of potential for setting up hazards, however Garbodor got a nice heap of buffs in gen 7, which I will be covering now and showing off exactly how this pile of trash could be your new best friend.

So before gen 7, Garbodor had a good standing, its pure poison type was great defensively due to its resistances and decent bulk, but decent attack stat to balance it out. This made garbodor nice and versatile since you can put stats into either defensive area and make it nice and bulky. It also had surprisingly good speed stat and access to spikes and toxic spikes. Garbodors main abilities are Stench and Weak Armour, as well as having the hidden ability of Aftermath. This makes Gardobor very useful as a counter to physical offensive pokemon, especially if it had the speed to outspeed the opponent and flinch with stench. Aftermath was also decent against fighting types due to Aftermath dealt 25% damage on fatal hits. But now, lets move onto how Garbodor improved during gen 7.

1) Weak Armor got buffed: Gen 7 buffed Weak Armor quite nicely, they changed it so previously, if you got hit physically, you would get -1 to defense but +1 to speed. Gen 7 came along and waved the buff wand, and suddenly poof its suddenly -1 defense and +2 speed! This effectively doubled garbodors speed every hit! Garbodor could suddenly tank a hit and outspeed pretty much everything due to its base 75 speed!

2) Stomping Tantrum: Garbodor already has tons of coverage in the form of moves like seed bomb, giga drain, gunk shot, dark pulse and thunderbolt, but stomping tantrum has fantastic synergy with gunk shot to really hit steel types super hard. First, you would try gunkshot, this would inevitably fail due to steels poison immunity, then use the "failed" move to hit with double power on stomping tantrum! Stomping tantrum also gets the damage bonus with missed moves as well, so gunk shots not perfect accuracy synergises well with it.

3) 50% Berries!: Gen 7 has berries that when the health of the holder goes below 25%, it will heal 50% of the holders HP. This is already very good for most pokemon, but Garbodor gets access to recycle, which enables it to get the berry back when it predictably gets eaten. Garbodor isnt the best user of this, since it doesnt have access to Gluttony, which makes pokemon like Snorlax considerably better for these berries. This is extremely useful to counter fighting types, however most fighting types get knockoff, and if they use knockoff, recycle doesnt work.

4) Z-Moves!: Z-moves really polish the trash here, as this makes Garbodor have heaps of potential. Lets start with offensive z-moves: First, Poisinium boosted Gunkshot is incredible, first things first its sure to hit, this makes it invaluable already. Its coverage moves also really appreciate z-moves, but they are not as strong as Acid Downpour Gunkshot. Next, lets look at the defensive z-moves. Lets start with Z-Haze, Haze is already nice as it removes all stat buffs on the field and this works great for Garbodor, but Z-Haze heals garbodor completely! This has tons of potential for garbodor as it dissuades setups, and its more reliable than Pain Split or the 50% berries. Next up is z-Autotomize. Z-Autotomize is an underused and unusual z-move, but this lets Garbodor sweep tremendously when used in coordination with curse, two curses and a z-Autotomize and you are set up and ready to sweep due to the newfound +2 attack, +2 defense and +2 speed, then combine this with gunk shot and stomping tantrum and wreck house!

And that is how Garbodor improved in generation 7. I genuinely think this makes Garbodor a tremendously fun pokemon to use and speaking of fun to use, lets look at some sets shall we? I shall be covering 3 sets, the Smogon set, the set I found while researching and finally, my own set!

So first, lets see Smogon!
Offensive Spikes Setter
  • Gunk Shot
  • Spikes
  • Stomping Tantrum / Toxic Spikes / Seed Bomb
  • Explosion
Item: Toxic Plate / Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

This is a versatile set that allows it to hit most threats, but I'm honestly not a fan of the concept of setting it up with Explosion, especially considering its potential longevity.

Next up is the Researched Set:
  • Gunk Shot
  • Stomping Tantrum
  • Curse
  • Autotomize
Item: Steelium Z
Ability: Stench
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

This is the Z-Autotomize set I showed in the Z-moves section. its got alot of potential and its probably fun to use!

Final set is my own set, I will be making an Assault Vest set to make use of its defensive bulk.
  • Gunk Shot
  • Stomping Tantrum
  • Drain Punch
  • Seed Bomb
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Weak Armour
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

This set takes usage of the assault vest to give the Garbodor more longevity regardless of weak armour, the moves are built to allow the Garbodor to keep itself alive and deal considerable damage throughout the fight and while it may be vulnerable to Knock Off users, they will regret forcing +2 Speed upon Garbodor.

And that will be all from todays spotlight. I understand Garbodor wasn't bad before but I still think he deserved a spot in the limelight, so thank you for listening! I will be covering a new pokemon every week and next week is going to be an interesting one!

Thats all folks, if you want to suggest a pokemon or give feedback feel free to reply to the post or send me a message on discord at Hidden_Paw#2540!

P.S When I said it was overshadowed, the Genwunners called out trubbish more than they did Garbodor!